Non-traditional 4th Dinner Fare

Sunday, July 06, 2008 on Sunday, July 06, 2008

Post for: Late Evening July 3, 2008

Now keep in mind this photo was taken by my daughter back in March before there were leaves on the trees. But that being said, this is the beginning of the 30 minute ride to our cabin in the mountains. And this is the nicer portion of the road. Most of it consists of a dry river bed with an occasional creek that you have to ford. Needless to say, if you don't have 4-wheel drive, you must crawl in the back of mine to get there. We love our cabin and our seclusion.

We drove up late Thursday evening to get everything unpacked, shelves stocked and air out the cabin. If it's left locked up for a month at a time, it can get stale and musty.

My husband, Kent, offered to help me with the large mess of beans that I held in my lap at around midnight. I yawned and shooed him away to build a fire outside. I strung and broke beans for at least an hour; enough to feed 20 or so and then soaked them for the evening.

The family had decided a week prior that they were just simply tired of the usual 4th of July dawgs and burgers. With all of the rain as of lately, my garden has been booming, and our mouths were watering for some good old southern home cooking. Fresh green beans, baby red potatoes, corn on the cob, orange marmalade tenderloin pork, and homemade cornbread. Yum!

Now that the beans were soaking, I poured a nice Merlot and headed outside to the fire pit. The one great thing my husband has talent for: a nice, roaring fire. We didn't sit long. It had been a long day and the wind was kicking up a storm. The clouds were moving in and we decided that we should as well.





It's 2am, and I'm as snug as a bug in a rug. I love this cabin.
Good night!

0 comments: