I am a dance teacher

Saturday, July 12, 2008 on Saturday, July 12, 2008

We are building a large dog pen for our nine pups and their momma. This is taking more time than we originally thought, so in the meantime, I'm going to tell you all about my dance school in the Arctic.

I lived and taught dance in Barrow, Alaska, a.k.a. "Top of the World"........the Arctic..... for 8 years before I moved back home to my farm in Virginia. I loved every minute of it. I started dancing at age three, took dance lessons for many years, and went on to attend Virginia Intermont College in Bristol, Virginia; home of the Bristol Ballet.

I taught at several schools in the Virginia area and North Carolina before moving to Alaska. And then those children stole my heart. They had not ever had the opportunity to dance, but they were thrilled with the new adventure. They were starved for anything new and exciting; and they became a big part of my life.



From age 2, 3, 4, and 5, I took them under my wing and not only taught them to dance, but also listened to their stories, and helped shape their lives. I think about them and miss them everyday.








After moving back to Virginia, I originally thought I might not make it back to the Arctic, but after many emails and phone calls, I could not resist. I now fly back to Alaska twice a year to teach for 6-8 weeks at a time and it feeds my soul. I am so glad that I can continue to be a part of their lives.

0 comments: